There’s been a lot of talk floating around about writing, blogging, and generally being wordy. It got me thinking about my blog and how much I missed it. I always have big plans and let them fall to they wayside. I decided it was time to review my blog. Where did it start? Where is it now? Where do I want it to be? When did I find blogging most enjoyable? I’m hoping to delve deeper into those thoughts later on in the post. So, here goes…
Why did I start blogging?
I started my very first blog because I wanted to have a place where family and friends could come check out pictures of my kids and their many antics. Now that I have voiced that out loud, it seem a bit self-centered. I had the best of intentions, though. Eventually, I realized that places like MySpace and Facebook were more convenient. Most family checked those sites on a regular basis, so it saved them having to remember to check another site just for my kids.
Once I stopped using my blog to for the sole purpose of showing off my children, I started using it for other purposes. Venting about my day, keeping track of important to-do lists, etc. I was still using Blogger, LiveJournal and other sites like these for my blog. Eventually I decided I wanted to use my blog for more positive things than venting about the things that bothered me. I dropped all blogging sites except Blogger.
Where did I go from there?
I had, by then, found the wonders of Craftster. If you are a crafty person and you don’t know about Craftster, take a minute to go check it out. I’ll wait here. Just, please dont forget about me! It’s a very addictive site! This is about when I started taking sewing lessons, as well. I was using my blog to chronicle my new sewing skills as well as any other craft projects I was working on. I posted pictures of finished projects, swap items, and of course I was still posting pictures and stories about my children. This was probably when I enjoyed blogging the most. I posted on my own schedule and had fun things to talk about.
This was the main purpose for my blog for quite a long time. I didn’t get many viewers, but that was just fine by me. I was blogging for myself and my family, still. I started taking interest in web design and coding. I decided I needed my own domain I could mess around with and HippieKender.com was born! Shortly after, I decided to take the leap and host my own blog, pulling away from Blogger.
This is where I started getting a little overambitious. I had grand plans to blog 5 times per week. I was going to blog about all kinds of topics depending on the day of the week. I’ve written about it before. I thought I would become a professional blogger overnight. Basically, I bit off more than I could chew. I wasn’t able to keep up with the grand plans I had set for myself and ultimately let my blog fade into the background of life.
Where does this leave my blog and where do I want it to go from here?
I really do want to blog, and blog on a regular basis. I don’t want months to go by without a single post! So, my new plan is to set smaller, less specific goals.
- I want a new theme for my blog. I think a fresh start demands a fresh look! I’ve been browsing for a new theme and hope to implement something soon-ish.
- I want to post on a regular basis without burning myself out trying to post something every single day. I am aiming for once a week, on various topics as they strike me. I would love to see where my writing takes me! I have been scouring pinterest for topic ideas and also “blog binder” ideas. Being more organized (and having new office supplies to play with) should keep me more motivated.
Some other things going on in my life that will probably bleed over into my blog posts…
- I’m having another baby! Crazy, I know! So, there will probably be a ton of baby-related posts in the future. Trials and smiles, crafty projects, a plethora of pictures, etc.
- I have never lost my interest in website design. I think it’s finally time to do something about it. There are a ton of online resources including full syllabus offered by top notch schools. Sure, I won’t have a degree, but I will have the knowledge! Plus, it’s a great career to be able to do from home, around the kids’ schedules.
- I need to utilize the copy of Rosetta that I have. Learning a second language is ALWAYS a good thing!
- Exercise! I was doing so well before I got pregnant. I had lost 35 lb. Now, I find it much harder to work out (both physically and mentally), even though I know I should. Right now I am just trying to maintain as best I can.
That’s enough about me for today! What about you? How has your blog progressed? How do you stay motivated to blog regularly? What topics would you like to see me write about? Post your comments below!
About the author HippieKender